Reading, PA - The Reading Royals, proud affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers and Lehigh Valley Phantoms, fell to the Wheeling Nailers, 2-1, Friday, November 4th at Santander Arena. The Royals fall to 1-4-1 on the season and 1-2 at home to begin the two-game series against the Nailers. Royals goaltender Nolan Maier saved 13 of 15 shots faced in his third start of the season. Wheeling’s goalie Taylor Gauthier saved 30 of 31 shots faced for his second win of his professional career.
For the fifth consecutive game the Royals outshot their opponent. Tonight, Reading doubled Wheeling in shots 31 to 15 and scored one one of four power play opportunities. Wheeling scored on one of four power play chances in the game as well, except the Nailers’ power play goal served as the game winner.
Defenseman Josh Maniscalco earned the honors of the game winner with 32 seconds remaining in the second period. A slapshot from the blue line off of an offensive zone faceoff draw sniped the top right corner of Reading’s net and sent Wheeling into the third period up by a goal, 2-1. The Nailers maintained the lead for the remainder of regulation while being outshot in the second and third period by Reading 26-6 combined.
Wheeling struck first 3:22 into the game for the lone goal of the first period. Forward Sean Josling received a saucer pass from Carter Johnson while he crashed in on Reading’s net. Josling deflected the puck through Maier’s five-hole for his team-leading third goal of the season and lone goal of the first period.
The Royals responded with their lone goal of the game to tie the score on the power play. Charlie Gerard blasted a slapshot past Gauthier for his second goal in his second game with the Royals this season. Gerard evened the score in the second period where Reading produced a game-leading 14 shots on net in the period. Garrett McFadden and Trey Bradley earned assists on Gerard’s goal. The secondary assist came as Bradley’s fourth assist in the past four games.
The Nailers prevailed with two blocked shots in the final 33 seconds of regulation time where Reading had a 6-on-5 man advantage attack with Maier pulled from his net for the extra skater.
The Royals host the Nailers to close out the two-game series on Saturday, November 5th at 7:00 p.m. for Military Appreciation Night. “Touch a Truck” begins on Penn St. outside Santander Arena at 4:00 p.m. and will run up to the doors opening for general admission to enter the arena at 6:00 p.m.
- Military Appreciation / Touch a Truck - Nov. 5 vs. Wheeling
- Honor veterans and active duty men and women who have served and are currently serving in the United States military
- "Touch a Truck" vehicles available to hop in and see on Penn St. before the game
- Giveaway is a Royals Fanny Pack
- La Noche de Los Royales presented by Anewalk Landscape Contracting - Nov. 18 vs. Adirondack
- Celebrate Latin American culture with Latin dance groups and music at Santander Arena
- Specialty Latin America themed jerseys
- 4 for $60 Ticket Deal
- We Hate the Royals Night - Nov. 20 vs. Adirondack
- We celebrate everything that the haters can't stand about the Reading Royals! Get your dislikes at the ready.
- Players reading mean tweets!
- Take your holiday photo on the ice post-game.
- Join us after the game at our Post-Game Party at the Doubletree across from Santander Arena. All are welcome!
- Pride Night - Dec. 2 vs. Norfolk
- The Royals are celebrating their first ever Pride Night with the help of LGBT. Center of Greater Reading
- Pride Dri-Fit headband giveaway.
Join the Reading Royals for FOUR of our biggest games of the year at home! Four-game plan ticket package includes tickets to the following specialty games:
Affiliation Night - January 28th @7:00 p.m.
Pink in the Rink - February 4th @7:00 p.m.
St. Hattrick's Day - March 18th @7:00 p.m.
Fandemonium - April 15th @7:00 p.m.
In addition to a ticket to each game, you will get a burger and soda per ticket, as well as a Royals hat. Contact the Royals front office for pricing details. Quantities are limited so reserve your seat now!2022-23 Season Memberships
Reading Royals season tickets, flex memberships and group tickets are available for the 2022-23 season by visiting the Royals’ box office at Santander Arena or by calling 610-898-7825.
About the Royals
The Reading Royals, proud affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers and Lehigh Valley Phantoms, are entering their 21st season in the ECHL. They won their first Kelly Cup championship in 2013 and have clinched playoff berths in 11 of the previous 12 seasons. They are five-time division champions and were the 2021-22 Eastern Conference champion. The Berks County Convention Center Authority (BCCCA), founded in 1996, owns the Royals and oversees operations at Santander Arena.