Reading, PA – The Reading Royals, proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, announced Monday the team’s 2018 Protected List. Reading has retained the rights to 27 players. Twenty-two of the players on the list skated for the Royals in the 2017-18 season.
Forwards (17): Dillan Fox, Adam Schmidt, Viktor Liljegren, Ryan Penny, Matt Wilkins, Brian Morgan, Michael Huntebrinker, Mark Bennett, Tyler Brown, Derek Whitmore, Scott Tanski, Mark Naclerio, Jack Riley, Mike Pereira, Adam Brace, Ian Watters, Sebastien Sylvestre
Defensemen (9): Nick Neville, Stephen Johnson, Chase Golightly, Charlie Vasaturo, Nick Luukko, Sam Posa, Loic Leduc, Mike Krieg, Florian Iberer
Goaltender (1): Branden Komm
Teams are allowed to protect as many players as they wish provided the players protected meet the guidelines as defined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the ECHL and the Professional Hockey Players’ Association which state that teams shall retain the rights to each player that:
1. Signed an SPC in 2017-18 with the Member, and has not been traded or released, OR
2. Signed an SPC in 2017-18, and was recalled to the NHL/AHL or IIHF team, and has not been traded or released, OR
3. Had received a Qualifying Offer last summer for the current Season, DID NOT sign an SPC, and has not been traded or released, OR
4. Has been suspended by the Member or League, and has not been traded or released, OR
5. Signed an SPC on or after the first day of the 2017-18 Regular Season, then subsequently signed an NHL/AHL contract, and has not been traded or released, OR
6. Has executed the ECHL Retirement Form, and has not been traded or released.
Protected lists may exceed 20 players.
The ECHL also announced that teams must complete all Future Consideration trades by 3 p.m. ET on June 13 and that teams must submit their Season-Ending Roster by 3 p.m. ET on June 15.
Season-ending rosters may include up to 20 players and cannot include any players who did not sign an ECHL contract in 2017-18.
Sync the 2018-19 Royals schedule to your phone and computer
The 2018-19 schedule has been released. Sync it to your smartphone and computer here.
Opening Weekend Oct. 13-14
The Royals begin the 2018-19 season with a mammoth opening weekend at Santander Arena vs. the Worcester Railers on Sat., Oct. 13 at 7:00 p.m. and Sun., Oct. 14 at 5:00 p.m. The home schedule consists of ten Friday contests and 13 premier Saturday games. Season ticket packages and nine, 12 and 18-game mini plans are available by calling 610-898-7825.
Relay for Life with the Royals
Join the Royals’ Relay for Life team here and help us find a cure to beat cancer! The Royals and American Cancer Society will partner for three games at Santander Arena in 2018-19:
– Men’s Cancer Awareness Night (Movember) on Sat., Nov. 10 vs. Adirondack at 7:00 p.m.
– Pink in the Rink Night on Sat., Feb. 9 vs. Brampton at 7:00 p.m.
– American Cancer Society Night on Sat., Mar. 23 vs. St. John’s at 7:00 p.m.
Dates of upcoming Relay for Life events:
Sat., June 9 – Relay for Life of Exeter 10:00 AM
Fri., June 15 – Relay for Life of Western Berks 5:00 PM
Sat., June 23 – Relay for Life of Boyertown 10:00 AM
About the Royals
The Royals have been owned by serial entrepreneur Jack Gulati since 2014 and are in their 17th ECHL season. Proudly affiliated with the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers and AHL’s Lehigh Valley Phantoms, Reading plays in the Santander Arena, located in downtown Reading, PA at 700 Penn Street. The Royals won the Kelly Cup in 2013, have made the playoffs in nine straight seasons and are four-time division champions.